Experiencing beauty in your creative life

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Headband Holder - Covered in Muslin, of course!

In April a friend and I took a trip to First Monday Trade Days in Canton.  You may remember this post where I professed my love for the Santos statue I found that day.  On the list of treasures we hoped to find, was a headband holder for my friend's daughter.  We searched high and low but found nothing.  So I though I would try to make one for her and this is the end result.

It was a super quick and easy project.  This is a can from protein drink mix, but any can about this size will work.  Start out by tracing the lid and cutting out the circle, leaving a little extra to cover the edge.  Use a stencil or free hand a monogram.  The dots are just the end of a paint brush dipped in paint and dotted on the fabric.  Set that piece aside to dry. 




Now you can hot glue a little cotton batting to the body of the can and cover with fabric. (muslin was used here - SHOCKING! I know!)  then cover the raw edges with  ribbon.  Next head on over to the sewing machine and make a quick strip ruffle.  All you have left now is to cover the lid with the monogrammed piece of fabric,  glue the lid to the can, then glue the ruffle around the edge.  And there it is...a headband holder.



It can also stand upright if you prefer, but I found that the headbands keep it from rolling when it is placed on its side.  One note if your can has a metal ring on the bottom you may want to apply a clear coat of polyurethane or my favorite go to "glue all, cover all, protect all, fix all" Glossy Accents  around the bottom so that if it gets wet  - no rust on your bathroom counter.

I have one more headband holder idea floating around in my head, but for now I would love to know how you store headbands around your house.

Have a great Day!
jamie

FYI - find this project and over 300 more at the 36th Avenue and Crafty Scrappy Happy Me  linky party!

 The 36th AVENUE  Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment